PL/SQL Developer Job Details
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Develops applications and supports systems in accordance with software development lifecycle (SDLC) processes (65%):
- Liaises with clients to define project scope. Provides technical expertise in formulating and organizing their ideas and business objectives during client liaisons.
- Assists internal clients in developing a project scope statement, including the definition and documentation of objectives, translating them into business requirements and clear deliverables.
- Analyses and gains a detailed understanding of the business requirements.
- Ensures that any ambiguous, incomplete, or contradictory requirements are addressed and clarified.
- Plans the project with clear deliverables and timelines.
- Regularly meets with clients for clarification and reviews.
- Shares and presents the final business requirements document to client and the development team.
- Obtains client sign-off the final business requirements document.
Design and Specifications
- Designs the application or system modification based on the analysis of the business.
- Illustrates and documents the design clearly and completely.
- Reviews the proposed design with the rest of the team to solicit opinions, ideas, suggestions, advice, and to promote sharing of knowledge.
- Writes detailed functional specifications that will be used for coding the application or the system modification.
- Writes the testing plan and specifications/scripts.
- Writes coding based on the design and specifications documentation.
- Throughout the coding phase, participates in periodic team code review sessions to ensure optimization, best practice and standards compliance.
- Ensures that the new application or system modifications coexist as planned with existing applications or systems.
- Verifies that the application or the modification(s) satisfies the business requirements and produces the results specified by design and detailed specification documentation. Modifies coding until complete conformance is achieved.
- Reviews the final results with the client for sign-off.
- Plans and documents the release of the application or system modification(s) to the College production environment.
- Obtains the necessary sign-offs and approvals.
- Performs the deployment and verifies system(s) integrity. Liaises with other teams and team members as appropriate.
- Maintains and enhances the application or system modification(s) to cope with newly discovered problems/bugs or new requirements.
- Tracks and documents all modifications to the initial requirements, design, specifications, code, test, release, and operational documentation.
- Applies SDLC processes and procedures, guidelines, and best practices throughout these change
2. Provides applications support (15%):
- Writes and maintains application and system operating procedures, checklists, and other related documentation.
- Monitors and maintains application and system operational functions in the College production environment.
- Defines, analyzes, designs, and maintains operational reports to ensure data integrity and systems conformance.
- Assists users in resolving operational challenges related to the use of IT applications and systems.
- Creates and delivers individual or group end user demonstrations and training regarding new applications and system modifications.
- Gathers and documents user feedback and suggestions for new features, usability enhancements, and other applications and systems improvements.
- Diagnoses, responds to, and resolves routine and emergency applications and systems issues in Production.
3. Engages in continual training and professional development (10%):
- Maintains currency in software industry by continually monitoring trends and evolution of tools, techniques, methodologies and standards, and shares this information with team.
- Participates in conferences, user and special interest groups meetings, online research and personal reading to monitor trends. Shares information with the team via discussions, brainstorming, presentations and other type of activities.
- Based on these observations and findings, makes suggestions and recommendations to the development team to improve and advance software development and system integration within the College.
- Suggests, advises, and engages in continuous personal and team training courses and programs to further his/her personal development and the knowledge and performance of the team.
4. Provides backup to the senior programmers in other client groups (5%):
5. Performs other related duties and/or projects as required (5%).
- Mentors other team members and promoting best Java and Object Oriented practices and as well as quality development standards.
Developer Mandatory Skills
Education & Experience
- Computer Science Degree preferred or two year diploma from a recognized institution in computing science or equivalent information technology discipline.
- Minimum six (6) years of recent related experience including four (4) years of coding, two (2) years of design, two (2) years of business analysis . Experience should also include one year of team leadership and one year of project management .
- Additional specialized industry training of up to one year in programming languages and software development techniques.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Excellent understanding of Object Oriented design and programming, test-driven development, and agile methodologies.
- Solid understanding of UML and experience with at least one of the UML modeling tools. Enterprise Architect experience would be an asset.
- Experience writing SQL including JOINs, indexing, optimization as well as a solid understanding of Entity Relationship (ER) diagrams
- Experience with one or more of the following database platforms and tools: Oracle, MS SQL, My SQL, TOAD and SQL Developer
- Experience with one or more HTML, CSS, JSP, Web Services, J SOAP/REST/XML, MS and/or Oracle AQ, as well as Enterprise Java Beans programming.
- Experience with one or more of the following Web and Application platforms: WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss, Apache, and Tomcat.
- Java programming experience in a J2EE or Web environment including understanding one or more frameworks such as Hibernate, Spring, Struts, JSF, G&G/RoR
Skills & Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, verbally and written, in English.
- Excel at explaining and demonstrating complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to liaise with clients and assist them in the definition and articulation of their business requirements.
- Ability to produce clear, concise, and easy to read design and specifications documentation.
- Ability to develop efficient, optimized, sustainable, well documented, and “elegant code”.
- Ability to “think outside the box”, re-evaluate, and improve development techniques for software development and programming.
- Effectively analyze, understand, and evaluate the impact of modifications or enhancements.
- Provide advice and support to users on the use and operation of application systems.
- Organize and manage time to meet deadlines.
- Effectively contribute to the overall improvement of department services and operations, team spirit, and morale.
- Work both independently and as a member of a committee or team.
- Work harmoniously with others.
- Aptitude to learn new languages, methodologies, tools and technologies for software development and programming.
- Exhibit high level of work ethics and professionalism within a business environment.
- Perform duties to meet established policies, practices and standards.
Developer Start Date